If you are a homeowner, there is a strong chance you have heard about FENSA somewhere along the line on your home-owning journey. Here at Oakley Green Conservatories, we are proud to say that, where applicable, all of our hardworking fitters are FENSA registered and all of the relevant installations are covered by FENSA. It’s worth noting, however, that not every product or service we offer requires a FENSA certification. With this in mind, we’re here to explain exactly when you will, or won’t, need to worry about FENSA.
What is FENSA?
FENSA, or the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme, was created to make sure that windows and doors installation companies meet the latest building regulations. FENSA’s goal is to professionalise installers in order to improve window and door replacements across the UK and protect homeowners.
What does FENSA do?
FENSA ensures that external windows and doors being fitted are energy-efficient and comply with the latest building regulations. They also ensure that any work carried out is registered with the local council.
What home improvements require a FENSA certificate?
- External windows
FENSA certificates are solely required for the replacement of windows and doors installed since 1st April 2002. If a contract was signed prior to 1st April 2002 but was completed before the 30th of June 2002, a FENSA certificate is not required. If a contract was signed prior to 1st April 2002 but was completed after the 30th of June 2002, a FENSA certificate is required.
Having a FENSA certification, where appropriate, is vital for homeowners for several reasons –
• It reinstates your home has windows and doors that have the right level of thermal performance.
• It reinstates your windows and doors are energy efficient.
• When it comes to selling your home, the above factors are hugely important in the buying process. Having a FENSA certificate is proof to potential buyers that your home meets the required regulations.
• The FENSA Approved Installer’s guarantee is insured, which means you can have peace of mind that both the installer and their work meet the required building regulations.
• Working with a FENSA registered company can speed up your home improvement process. Non-FENSA companies require a building officer to certify the improvements; a process that can take up to 2 months. FENSA registered companies can have work certified in just 2 – 4 weeks.
Our conservatories are backed by a comprehensive 10-year insurance guarantee
As our name suggests, Oakley Green Conservatories solely started out as conservatory installers in the South of England. We have so much confidence in the quality of our conservatory extensions that we offer a 10-year guarantee across our entire range of conservatory styles. We also offer aftercare services at no additional cost to you.
If you would like to talk more with us about anything we’ve discussed here, please do not hesitate to get in touch or visit us in our local showroom. We look forward to hearing from you and sharing our unrivaled expertise to ensure you make the most of your new living space.